gogotomica

gogotomica

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mythbuster! Tomica Interior


I know a new friend recently who also happens to be a Tomica collector and he is getting more and more serious into Tomica everyday ever since he knows me. This post is as per his request because he told me some small details which is never a issue to me. Shame on me. I didn't know that Tomica collectors can get so serious into details like, STEERING WHEEL! He asked if I realised that the recent release Tomica had "bun"-like steering wheel? I told him I didn't take notice of current day Tomica because once I bought them from stores, I chucked them aside without opening them. I didn't open them because I already seen them on the Internet and I will only open those which I like. Back to the topic, what my friend says "bun"-like because there is no spokes at all!!! I took a closer look and how right he is. It is really god damned ugly. My friend says that this bun steering happens recently and we did check a few cars like 370Z, Mark X etc, they have been "bunned". My friend asked me why? Lazy, cost cutting, profit maximising or is there a better reasoning? It can't be collector like the steering wheel to be one piece or steering wheels in future should have no spokes.

So is it true that steering of yester-years do complete with 2, 3 or 4 spokes steer or have they started the "bun" before we can notice it? The few cars featuring below are from the 70s. The interior do not have a dashboard and usually do have super size steering wheel.



80s Tomica started to down size the steering wheel and started to have some centre console. These are 3 examples of the 80s interior. Interior is still all right but 80s cars started to lose some Tomica solidity feel.



So does that mean that 70s & 80s does not have the "Bun"-like steer which my friend totally against with? I was rummaging through my Tomica by sections. First I go through the foreign cars and found some culprits. I found the buns and these cars with no spoke steer have a common feature. They do not open doors. I do not want to reveal the identities of these cars as I hope their value do not fall overnight. KIDDING!



More surprises as it happens to the rest of the 80s & 90s Japanese car which doesn't open doors. Honestly, I do not mind since I do not know and they do not open doors. I am fine with it all these years and since their doors do not open too. I am fine with Tomica that does not open doors too. BUT, things are not consider acceptable if they do it overboard. Read on.



The car dismantled is a Honda Civic Type R. Doors doesn't open. Chassis and base were separated to show you what the "bun" we are talking about because this is a term invented by my friend so I don't know if there is a better word to describe it.


Current day Tomicas do comes with a dash too, sad for the steer. In order not to waste my time to dig out my other current day Tomicas, I headed straight for the Jeep Wrangler (oops, I am not supposed to mentioned any names). Wrangler is open top so it is supposed to have spoke steering.


Well, I guess the Jeep just help me save some of my time and yours. If you want some spoke steer of current day, go get the Axio and Impreza WRX. You might have to check it out yourself because I don't really bother about new Tomica except to make sure I have bought at least one unit to keep in my storage.





5 comments:

  1. Nothing new under the Sun... Exactly the same happened with the Matchboxes during the last decade. 8-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great read. I don't look at the interior details too. Hope they bring back the old steering wheels with spokes for added realism. Thanks for bringing this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's brought up by my friend because I dun really bother about the new Tomica, but if they make steering wheels with spokes, it will shave another dew cents off their profit and can be very painful to them and to collectors like us who make do with budget production

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish there was a tomica porsche 911 regular release

    ReplyDelete