gogotomica

gogotomica

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Childhood Memories: RoboTora

This is my first post on the toys I had when I was a child. I will try to relate a story with each toy featured at a time. I was considered lucky as I have different people in life pampering me with toys then. I would say most or all are automotive related as I hate any toys that doesn't have 4 wheels. If you expect to see Star Wars or G.I. Joe, I am gonna disappoint you. I don't even like Transformers then, I have no toys related to Transformers at all. I remembered there's a Macross Robot and some Bandai Transformers then. I shall show you one of my favourite toy when I had in the 80s. It's RoboTora by Popy.

This toy was given to me by my auntie. This auntie is my cousin's mother. Which cousin? The one who owns Gift Greetings. I brought this toy to his shop yesterday to show my cousin as I wanted to surprise him. I know that he had a similar one then so I think he will remember this. We used to shared almost the same toys. Why I say that because I took all the Tomica or toys I like from his home and he willingly gave them to me. I am the little devil then and maybe he's elder than me. He let me have my ways I demand. Sorry brother Anthony, I started to feel a little guilty now.

When he saw this toy, his eyes brighten up. He had tons of fun with this toy then because the truck has got a special gadget. I told him that this toy was not played with and it was very well kept for the past 30 years. He was amazed and started to inspect the truck and the box.

The truck is mint, the figurines are still in its original plastic packing and so is the instruction booklet and brochure.

Seeing these figurines are as good as seeing my old friends. They have been heavily abused and get thrown off the truck hundred of times.

My cousin is surprised that someone really kept them for 30 years as though it was just bought yesterday. He actually thought that I kept it as I told him that his mum bought me this. I assured him that the original one I had was dumped years ago. I like this toy so much that I had to buy back my memories.

The truck is made of metal with some plastic parts like its bumper and interior. The size is approx. 1/40. The prime of Japanese die cast toys should reign from early 70s till the mid 80s. They have many wonderful toys then. Back to my RoboTora truck, those rubber figures either seat in the cabin or they stand in the rear deck.

See this bumper? I always push the truck with its passengers seated on its deck to the direction of the wall. See how bad this truck had been abused then? Once the bumper of the truck hit the wall, the catch on the rear deck released and flip its cargo sending them flying to a land far far way.

This is how the truck look like when it hit the wall.

The year is 1982. It's been 30 years. The original toy I had was thrown away with many other toys. They usually do it without much of my knowledge. When old stuff are gone, there will be newer toys that will come my way.



No comments:

Post a Comment